develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from August 2020

Re: Q: what the hell is going on? // A: ...

From:
Leon Timmermans
Date:
Re: Q: what the hell is going on? // A: ...
Message ID:
CAHhgV8jo42Tvwe0wH+A_0gGrJOn7ffr56C7AHzuwQ58iLFY12Q@mail.gmail.com
On Sun, Aug 9, 2020 at 11:52 PM TTK Ciar <ttk2@ciar.org> wrote:

> Certainly!  I am referring specifically to
> http://blogs.perl.org/users/leon_timmermans/2020/08/perl7-is-a-fork-of-values.html
> and the discussion about it at
> https://old.reddit.com/r/perl/comments/i1qqxa/perl7_is_a_fork_of_values/
> where p5p devs expressed related concerns.
>
> If something was lost in translation, I would be very grateful for
> clarification.

My writing didn't say anything about EOLing the perl5 binary, it does
mention the idea of dropping compatibility with perl5 in perl8. That would
mean perl8 wouldn't understand «use v5.8», but doesn't say anything about
the perl5 binary. I imagine this means people will need two perl installs.

Leon