develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from August 2020

Re: Asking for help in deciding what functions should be in the API

From:
Dave Mitchell
Date:
Re: Asking for help in deciding what functions should be in the API
Message ID:
20200810143844.GP10069@iabyn.com
On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 03:57:59PM +1000, Tony Cook wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 09:09:43PM -0600, Karl Williamson wrote:
> > Tl;Dr  Please scan the list below for functions, variables, and macros that
> > really XS writers have no business accessing directly.
> >  amagic_call
> >  amagic_deref_call
>
> >  any_dup
>
> Used on CPAN and I think it's reasonable for use in XS.

But really its hooking into the internal details of how ithreads clones
an interpreter. XS code that uses it is being naughty IMHO.

> >  block_gimme
>
> API.

I thought block_gimme() and Perl_gimme_V() were the internal
implementations of the API macros GIMME/GIMME_V?

> >  clear_defarray
>
> API (but I don't expect to see much usage)

That's heavily tied to the semantics and implementation of @_,
an could well change when signatures ditch @_. It's prefer it not to be
API.

--
Please note that ash-trays are provided for the use of smokers,
whereas the floor is provided for the use of all patrons.