develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from August 2020

Re: Q: what the hell is going on? // A: ...

From:
Christian Walde
Date:
Re: Q: what the hell is going on? // A: ...
Message ID:
op.0o4lfyriydyjqt@xenwide.cihq
On Sun, 09 Aug 2020 23:52:01 +0200, TTK Ciar <ttk2@ciar.org> wrote:

> Certainly!  I am referring specifically to http://blogs.perl.org/users/leon_timmermans/2020/08/perl7-is-a-fork-of-values.html and the discussion about it at https://old.reddit.com/r/perl/comments/i1qqxa/perl7_is_a_fork_of_values/ where p5p devs expressed related concerns.
>
> If something was lost in translation, I would be very grateful for clarification.
>
> On Sun, Aug 09, 2020 at 05:02:08PM -0400, James E Keenan wrote:
>> On 8/9/20 3:56 PM, TTK Ciar wrote:
>> >Could you do me a favor, please, and reconcile assertions that Perl v5
>> >will continue to be supported with assertions elsewhere that Perl v5 will
>> >be EOL'd when Perl v8 is released?
>> >

>> I do not know who is making those assertions.  I have not heard them.
>> Could you please cite a specific source so that we might respond to your
>> concerns?

More specifically, from the announcement video (which does not have terribly good accessibility, so this is the best example i found):

> in major version
> we can finally remove syntax so if we
> disable for example indirect syntax in
> seven in eight theoretically we could
> removing the right syntax and I know
> there is one person there that is still
> writing indirect syntax and demands to
> never change it but you know what that's
> not our top priority

https://youtu.be/6wPMh-3qYJM?t=3373

I don't know if that was just a random idea or actually an announcement of intent, or if it was clarified since, but as it is stated:

This would result in people being unable to use orphaned CPAN modules unless drastic action is taken to e.g. empower modules@ to forcibly release fixes for distributions or other much more crazy solutions.

--
With regards,
Christian Walde