develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from August 2020

Re: Q: what the hell is going on? // A: ...

From:
Leon Timmermans
Date:
Re: Q: what the hell is going on? // A: ...
Message ID:
CAHhgV8i=qagz4-GGgD4L0t8tsr6xN_O1a4ZREZusN2E4h7=Rtw@mail.gmail.com
On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 12:42 PM Paul "LeoNerd" Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk>
wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Aug 2020 11:51:43 +0200
> "H.Merijn Brand" <perl5@tux.freedom.nl> wrote:
>
> > 4. The point is not "just" to make the language more attractive to new
> >    programmers. (if that was the only point to make, Raku could well
> >    be the answer). We - as core developers - are currently hindered in
> >    making changes to the core to fix issues or add features we want to
> >    have (with end users in focus) *without* breaking the world.
>
> I am getting very tired of hearing this as an argument.
>
> As a person who actually *has* added a feature (the `isa` operator),
> *is* adding a feature (`FINALLY` blocks), and plans to add many more
> (try/catch, dumbmatch, ...) I can categorically state that none of this
> has ever got in my way. Not one thing that could be called "supporting
> legacy" has ever been in the way of my adding any of these things, and
> I don't anticipate any of them being so.

More specifically, to quote Dave Mitchel's reply to the announcement:

«In fact by far the biggest issue with backwards compatibility in the
interpreter is XS code, especially XS code which relies on stuff outside
the API (or where its not clear whether its API or not). Nothing in the
perl7 proposal (as far as I'm aware) fixes this - it will still be by far
the biggest millstone around our necks in terms of maintaining and
improving the interpreter.»

Leon