develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from August 2020

Re: Q: what the hell is going on? // A: ...

From:
Philip R Brenan
Date:
Re: Q: what the hell is going on? // A: ...
Message ID:
CALhwFRmeTXtU3AL9H0zSxUB5mf=3a9E=o-O86UUGbNBrNaKc8w@mail.gmail.com
If there are any breaking changes that are not made optional by pragmata
then we have two classes of Perl citizens some of whom are more equal than
others: those who decide how and when  breaking changes will occur and the
hoi polloi who must either accept these changes with no say or move on to
another language. I believe we should be faithful to our creed:

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There%27s_more_than_one_way_to_do_it

by continuing to allow each and every user to individually control the
features of the language they wish to use just as we do now via *use*
statements.  By doing so, democratically,  we would make Perl more powerful
than any other language out there, even those controlled by benevolent
dictators for life. St Paul tells us that this is possible and I dare to
believe him because if not, we do not deserve to call ourselves programmers
in any language, let alone Perl.

--
Thanks,

Phil <https://metacpan.org/author/PRBRENAN>