develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from August 2020

Re: Q: what the hell is going on? // A: ...

From:
Sawyer X
Date:
Re: Q: what the hell is going on? // A: ...
Message ID:
4d462967-2c44-335a-c0f1-1cce0b6ae3f2@gmail.com

On 8/6/20 9:49 AM, Tomasz Konojacki wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Aug 2020 23:35:59 -0500
> John Lightsey <john@nixnuts.net> wrote:
>
>> Why would a hard fork of Perl 5 be preferable to Perl 5 and Perl 7 being
>> maintained under the same umbrella by the same people?
>>
>> Sawyer's talk stated that Perl 5 will be maintained without any breaking
>> changes for users that don't want new features or don't feel ready to
>> upgrade. Perl 5 will be more stable than it currently is, not less.
>>
>> What would a fork of Perl 5 aim to accomplish that isn't already part of
>> the plan to maintain Perl 5 while Perl 7 moves forward?
>>
>> I'm not trying to be facetious... I see the Perl 5 long term support
>> aspect of the plan as a significant improvement to the status quo. It
>> should make changes to core Perl less of a risk for anyone tending
>> legacy codebases.
> It's a false dichotomy that all users want either legacy
> maintenance-mode Perl that never changes or total breakage without any
> warning. As I said in my previous post, there's an obvious third way.

I think you're creating a straw-man here.

No one, including myself or anyone who worked or supported the plan, had
ever said "total breakage without any warning."

As long as you rephrase my words or the plan we've raised as something
it is not, it cannot be argued properly.