develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from August 2020

Re: Q: what the hell is going on? // A: ...

From:
Martijn Lievaart
Date:
Re: Q: what the hell is going on? // A: ...
Message ID:
762f66d0-7173-5006-a3c1-3c5ff86c935c@rtij.nl

Op 06-08-20 om 06:35 schreef John Lightsey:
> On Thu, 2020-08-06 at 01:12 +0200, Tomasz Konojacki wrote:
>> On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 16:46:31 -0400
>> Ricardo Signes <perl.p5p@rjbs.manxome.org> wrote:
>>> There are a lot of specific changes being discussed.  Everyone on the PSC seems
>>> to agree on Perl 7.0.0 existing at some point in the next twelve months.
>>> Beyond that, it's up in the air.
>> There's no reason why we have to release Perl 7 *now*, other than saving
>> Sawyer's face and brian's book sales. BTW, AFAIK it's not true that
>> there's a full consensus among PSC members about this.
>>
>> In my opinion, the only way forward is to release Perl 5.36 which will
>> add deprecation warnings for the stuff we want to remove/disable by
>> default in Perl 7 and then continue making 5.x releases until we are
>> actually ready to release Perl 7. That will, of course, take a few years.
>>
>> Releasing Perl 7 in the way that was described in Sawyer's talk will
>> result in a catastrophe. It will be a PR disaster (it already is), it
>> will fragment the community and possibly even result in a hard fork of
>> Perl (BTW, as someone who has contributed 32 commits to Perl in the past
>> year, I will probably support it, if it happens).
> Why would a hard fork of Perl 5 be preferable to Perl 5 and Perl 7 being
> maintained under the same umbrella by the same people?

The main argument for not doing this, IIRC, was that we would have to
maintain two CPANs, which would grow increasingly out of sync. And we
would have to port all unmaintained but widely used CPAN modules to Perl
7. Both are undoable if you think about it.

HTH,

M4