develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from August 2020

Re: Q: what the hell is going on? // A: ...

From:
Leon Timmermans
Date:
Re: Q: what the hell is going on? // A: ...
Message ID:
CAHhgV8j4+_BBDXeP1JOh0tOwwhyGiANJmg1s9UUgo2n9mBFo_g@mail.gmail.com
On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 8:50 AM Tomasz Konojacki <me@xenu.pl> wrote:

> On Wed, 05 Aug 2020 23:35:59 -0500
> John Lightsey <john@nixnuts.net> wrote:
>
> > Why would a hard fork of Perl 5 be preferable to Perl 5 and Perl 7 being
> > maintained under the same umbrella by the same people?
> >
> > Sawyer's talk stated that Perl 5 will be maintained without any breaking
> > changes for users that don't want new features or don't feel ready to
> > upgrade. Perl 5 will be more stable than it currently is, not less.
> >
> > What would a fork of Perl 5 aim to accomplish that isn't already part of
> > the plan to maintain Perl 5 while Perl 7 moves forward?
> >
> > I'm not trying to be facetious... I see the Perl 5 long term support
> > aspect of the plan as a significant improvement to the status quo. It
> > should make changes to core Perl less of a risk for anyone tending
> > legacy codebases.
>
> It's a false dichotomy that all users want either legacy
> maintenance-mode Perl that never changes or total breakage without any
> warning. As I said in my previous post, there's an obvious third way.

This is probably the most important open question of this whole plan.

I suspect this is not what most people prefer to happen (it's certainly a
complication), but they're probably currently not willing to give up their
side of the fork to make it not happen. Unless one party either gives up
(which seems unlikely) or comes up with a compromise that is acceptable to
the other (apparently difficult), it is a likely outcome.

It all rather feels like a Solomon's judgement to me.

Leon