develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from August 2020

Re: Q: what the hell is going on? // A: ...

From:
Tomasz Konojacki
Date:
Re: Q: what the hell is going on? // A: ...
Message ID:
20200806084945.F062.5C4F47F8@xenu.pl
On Wed, 05 Aug 2020 23:35:59 -0500
John Lightsey <john@nixnuts.net> wrote:

> Why would a hard fork of Perl 5 be preferable to Perl 5 and Perl 7 being
> maintained under the same umbrella by the same people?
>
> Sawyer's talk stated that Perl 5 will be maintained without any breaking
> changes for users that don't want new features or don't feel ready to
> upgrade. Perl 5 will be more stable than it currently is, not less.
>
> What would a fork of Perl 5 aim to accomplish that isn't already part of
> the plan to maintain Perl 5 while Perl 7 moves forward?
>
> I'm not trying to be facetious... I see the Perl 5 long term support
> aspect of the plan as a significant improvement to the status quo. It
> should make changes to core Perl less of a risk for anyone tending
> legacy codebases.

It's a false dichotomy that all users want either legacy
maintenance-mode Perl that never changes or total breakage without any
warning. As I said in my previous post, there's an obvious third way.