develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from August 2020

Re: Q: what the hell is going on? // A: ...

From:
John Lightsey
Date:
Re: Q: what the hell is going on? // A: ...
Message ID:
f3710def53842531a0b46ff7c27109bd332b11f5.camel@nixnuts.net
On Thu, 2020-08-06 at 01:12 +0200, Tomasz Konojacki wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 16:46:31 -0400
> Ricardo Signes <perl.p5p@rjbs.manxome.org> wrote:

> > There are a lot of specific changes being discussed.  Everyone on the PSC seems
> > to agree on Perl 7.0.0 existing at some point in the next twelve months.
> > Beyond that, it's up in the air.
>
> There's no reason why we have to release Perl 7 *now*, other than saving
> Sawyer's face and brian's book sales. BTW, AFAIK it's not true that
> there's a full consensus among PSC members about this.
>
> In my opinion, the only way forward is to release Perl 5.36 which will
> add deprecation warnings for the stuff we want to remove/disable by
> default in Perl 7 and then continue making 5.x releases until we are
> actually ready to release Perl 7. That will, of course, take a few years.
>
> Releasing Perl 7 in the way that was described in Sawyer's talk will
> result in a catastrophe. It will be a PR disaster (it already is), it
> will fragment the community and possibly even result in a hard fork of
> Perl (BTW, as someone who has contributed 32 commits to Perl in the past
> year, I will probably support it, if it happens).

Why would a hard fork of Perl 5 be preferable to Perl 5 and Perl 7 being
maintained under the same umbrella by the same people?

Sawyer's talk stated that Perl 5 will be maintained without any breaking
changes for users that don't want new features or don't feel ready to
upgrade. Perl 5 will be more stable than it currently is, not less.

What would a fork of Perl 5 aim to accomplish that isn't already part of
the plan to maintain Perl 5 while Perl 7 moves forward?

I'm not trying to be facetious... I see the Perl 5 long term support
aspect of the plan as a significant improvement to the status quo. It
should make changes to core Perl less of a risk for anyone tending
legacy codebases.

J.D.