develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from August 2020

Re: Dead global variables?

From:
Dave Mitchell
Date:
Re: Dead global variables?
Message ID:
20200803110005.GO3267@iabyn.com
On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 11:58:54PM -0500, Todd Rinaldo wrote:
> I may have this wrong so I'm asking.
>
> I can find nothing referring to PL_revision, PL_version, or
> PL_subversion anywhere in perl or CPAN. I don't think there are
> circumstances where you can reference them as
> revsion/version/subversion. Does this mean they are unused and could be
> removed?

From the comments in perl.h added by Nicholas C in 2011:

/* These are baked at compile time into any shared perl library.
   In future releases this will allow us in main() to sanity test the
   library we're linking against.  */

So I guess we could potentially make use of them in future.

--
Lear: Dost thou call me fool, boy?
Fool: All thy other titles thou hast given away; that thou wast born with.