develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from August 2020

Re: PSC Meeting Notes - 2020-07-28

From:
Christian Walde
Date:
Re: PSC Meeting Notes - 2020-07-28
Message ID:
op.0oqnt6qcydyjqt@xenwide.vpn.udag.de
On Thu, 30 Jul 2020 07:34:07 +0200, Todd Rinaldo <toddr@cpanel.net> wrote:

> The "Perl Steering Committee" (PSC) is a group of folks focused on moving the Perl programming >language forward. We are currently meeting via video conference weekly in an attempt to accelerate >the process. To be transparent, we take meeting notes and post them to the Perl wiki. We will also >be sending them to the perl5-porters mailing list in the future. You can see all previous notes >here: https://github.com/Perl/perl5/wiki/Past-Perl-Steering-Committee-Meeting-Minutes

my time is very limited recently due to new work and covid, etc. so i wasn't paying attention

i'm glad to see this as a form of improvement, however i also see issues with this

my time is still limited so i don't intend to make a big thing, but here's what i'm thinking after 5 minutes of inspecting

issues: secret meetings, only publish short notes, no clear way of participation of the public

thoughts: it seems the feedback of "yo nobody even knew who was involved in the last cabal" was taken and understood as "ok, that's the only thing we need to fix"

suggestions:

- fully public recordings (just dump them on youtube, we have the tech and it's so easy children are doing it literally right the very second you are reading this, you could even stream them while having the meeting)

- no habit of discussions outside the meetings or p5p (some 1:1 convos will happen, but if they become the rule again things will break again)

- no decisions outside the meetings or p5p (if you want people to trust you it must be clear from the recording that the decision is arrived at at the meeting and WHY)

- clear method for the p5p mailing list to add or remove people

- clear method for the p5p mailing list to add things to the agenda or veto them (possibly a basic "this issue gets 10 +1s" rule) (honestly, isn't this the only reason cabals are used anyhow, so things aren't bogged down with bike-shedding? that's valid but the answer can't be NOBODY CAN INPUT but must have a mechanism of inputting while delaying bikeshedding)

- maybe post the update mails as text mails, there may be some people with clients that struggle with fancy html

dunno if any of my thoughts are naive here, but i have limited time. hope this is helpful

--
With regards,
Christian Walde