develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from August 2020

Re: Dead global variables?

From:
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans
Date:
Re: Dead global variables?
Message ID:
20200801125511.5c7e429a@shy.leonerd.org.uk
On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 23:58:54 -0500
Todd Rinaldo <toddr@cpanel.net> wrote:

> I may have this wrong so I'm asking.
>
> I can find nothing referring to PL_revision, PL_version, or
> PL_subversion anywhere in perl or CPAN. I don't think there are
> circumstances where you can reference them as
> revsion/version/subversion. Does this mean they are unused and could
> be removed?

It sounds like they're probably dead and could be removed then.

But I would suggest not doing so yet, as they're hardly in the way of
anything currently. We should keep the giant "bump version to 7"
changes as small as technically possible, so if things do break it will
be easier to unpick why. We can remove those dead variables later on
when the 7 part is settled.

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans