develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from July 2020

PSC Meeting Notes - 2020-07-28

Thread Next
From:
Todd Rinaldo
Date:
July 30, 2020 05:34
Subject:
PSC Meeting Notes - 2020-07-28
Message ID:
E2376655-CC64-417E-816B-E6F47CE76B71@cpanel.net
All, 

The "Perl Steering Committee" (PSC) is a group of folks focused on moving the Perl programming language forward. We are currently meeting via video conference weekly in an attempt to accelerate the process. To be transparent, we take meeting notes and post them to the Perl wiki. We will also be sending them to the perl5-porters mailing list in the future. You can see all previous notes here: https://github.com/Perl/perl5/wiki/Past-Perl-Steering-Committee-Meeting-Minutes <https://github.com/Perl/perl5/wiki/Past-Perl-Steering-Committee-Meeting-Minutes>

https://github.com/Perl/perl5/wiki/SC-Notes-2020-07-28 <https://github.com/Perl/perl5/wiki/SC-Notes-2020-07-28>

Arrangements

Time: 2020-07-28 13:00 GMT
Location: Zoom
 <https://github.com/Perl/perl5/wiki/SC-Notes-2020-07-28#attendees>Attendees

Tony Cook <https://github.com/tonycoz> (TonyC)
Paul Evans <https://github.com/leonerd> (LeoNerd)
Karl Williamson <https://github.com/khwilliamson> (khw)
Todd Rinaldo <https://github.com/toddr> (toddr)
James Keenan <https://github.com/jkeenan> (kid51)
H.Merijn Brand <https://github.com/Tux> (Tux)
Sawyer <https://github.com/xsawyerx> (xsawyerx)
John Lightsey <https://github.com/lightsey> (JD)
Nicolas R. <https://github.com/atoomic> (atoomic)
 <https://github.com/Perl/perl5/wiki/SC-Notes-2020-07-28#meeting-notes>Meeting notes

 <https://github.com/Perl/perl5/wiki/SC-Notes-2020-07-28#technical-meeting-objectives--agenda>Technical Meeting objectives / agenda

A brief report from the governance working group
We are still sorting through how we feel governance should work. This is being handled outside the technical call and details will be forthcoming.
Working group report on XS for Perl 7 - Devel::PPPort
Karl did work on Devel::PPPort. Thanks!
Proceeding with the plan as already specified. <>
Defaults Working group report
Currently starting over with a more step by step approach <https://github.com/atoomic/perl/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3Aobjective>
Step 1 is almost complete.
The plan for opening blead:
Open blead for normal development (there will not be a further 5.33)
Bump blead to 7.1.0 using the code we've developed already to bump the major version (Step 1)
We will proceeed with 7.1.x releases with an eventual release of 7.2 in May(ish) 2021
Meanwhile in parallel, we will develop the features for 7.0.0 in an independant branch.
We will get 7.0 to a RC state
We will test it against CPAN and adjust defaults if needed.
Once we release 7.0.0, the changes will be merged to blead.
Once 7.0.0 is released, development norms should return though we do plan to discuss changing those down the road.
 <https://github.com/Perl/perl5/wiki/SC-Notes-2020-07-28#action-items>Action items

7.0.0 development for core will continue.
Todd is going to work on extracting the commit for blead to bump it to 7.1.0
Sawyer to email to perl5-porters that blead is open.
Move governance meeting to a different day. Bring up with Stuart and get agreement.
 <https://github.com/Perl/perl5/wiki/SC-Notes-2020-07-28#future-agenda>Future agenda

The next meeting will be 2020-08-4 13:00 GMT

 <https://github.com/Perl/perl5/wiki/SC-Notes-2020-07-28#perl-700-work>Perl 7.0.0 work.

How to disable things and return to v5 defaults when needed. - Feature downgrading
use p5
use compat::perl5 (alternative name to "p5")
use v5 (magical v5.0.0 bundle in perl 7?)
Perhaps we should overload use v with less things not more.
discuss the v7 feature bundle
Assuming a short major life cycle, should there be a 7.2 bundle or just a 7 bundle?
how does one do use v8 in perl 7? Many don't like v8.
Essentially turns on all feature guards which are planned for 8.
Gives people a preview mode for 8 so they can test.
Configure option when building perl?
Environment variable?
use cool::stuff?
-e / -E discussion
Should -E default to v7? v8?
Most people think -e default to v5 and much code has built up around this.
perl -$letter is in short supply.
A reminder: /usr/bin/perl7 doesn't have to be the same thing as /usr/bin/perl5
refactor plans for perlpolicy



Thread Next


nntp.perl.org: Perl Programming lists via nntp and http.
Comments to Ask Bjørn Hansen at ask@perl.org | Group listing | About