Re: RFC: freeze bison version with docker container

From:
ilmari
Date:
Re: RFC: freeze bison version with docker container
Message ID:
87mu3kiqaq.fsf@wibble.ilmari.org
ilmari@ilmari.org (Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker) writes:

> ilmari@ilmari.org (Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker) writes:
>
>> "Paul \"LeoNerd\" Evans" <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> writes:
>>
>>> OP is also pointing out that developing perl currently requires a
>>> version of bison older than is in debian/testing. I cannot develop perl
>>> on my own laptop right now without manually installing an old bison in
>>> /usr/local, because the one shipped by debian is too new for regen_perly
>>
>> Does this need more than just bumping the version check in
>> regen/regen_perly.pl?  I bumped the maximum from 3.0 to 3.4 in July last
>> year, which was current in Debian unstable at the time.  We could even
>> be optimistic and allow any 3.x version, under the presumption that any
>> incompatible change would be a new major version.
>
> So, I did this on my Debian Sid VM (and added -Wno-deprecated to shut up
> a warning), and ran `perl regen_perly.pl`, but the resulting code does
> not build.  There are several missing definitions, including YY_CAST and
> yysymbol_kind_t, and the defintionn of yy_type_tab in perly.tab is
> _completely_ mangled.  I'll have a look at fixing that...

I've now pushed a fixes for both Bison 3.7 (Debian Sid) (also tested
with and 3.6 (Debian Testing)) to the `smoke-me/ilmari/bison-3.7` branch
and https://github.com/Perl/perl5/pull/18000.

- ilmari
--
- Twitter seems more influential [than blogs] in the 'gets reported in
  the mainstream press' sense at least.               - Matt McLeod