Re: RFC: freeze bison version with docker container

From:
=?UTF-8?Q?Branislav_Zahradn=C3=ADk?=
Date:
Re: RFC: freeze bison version with docker container
Message ID:
CAB=rbOm4vf6r3gidob46PAAAU=rBM=8ePkTary=ZZhZv-Zhg=Q@mail.gmail.com
On Mon, 27 Jul 2020 at 13:12, Dave Mitchell <davem@iabyn.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 12:03:44PM +0200, Branislav ZahradnĂ­k wrote:
> > Hi Porters,
> >
> > Motivation:
> > Bison itself evolves, deprecating features (eg %pure-parser) , changing
> > output format.
> > Distributions do as well, providing different bison versions.
> > These days we can provide unified tooling via containers.
> >
> > Commit (POC):
> > https://github.com/happy-barney/perl5/commit/4c8c41bcf0
>

> It's not clear to me what you are proposing to change in the perl core
> build process to "freeze bison version", or indeed what "freeze bison
> version" means in the context of the perl build process.

First I have to admit that "freeze" is probably not an exact word I had to
use.

Idea is about having the same environment (same tooling) for every
contributor regardless
of distribution.

For example, I regularly use 3 distributions, each of them having different
bison version - 3.0, 3.4, and 3.6. Latest two rise warning about deprecated
directive - quite confusing.

Putting generators into container allows different evolution patterns for
developer's localhost and source code.

Regarding changes to perl's development process, I think that every code
generator should be put
into a container, but that's not on table yet / right now.