Re: RFC: freeze bison version with docker container

From:
ilmari
Date:
Re: RFC: freeze bison version with docker container
Message ID:
87pn8gj22c.fsf@wibble.ilmari.org
ilmari@ilmari.org (Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker) writes:

> "Paul \"LeoNerd\" Evans" <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> writes:
>
>> OP is also pointing out that developing perl currently requires a
>> version of bison older than is in debian/testing. I cannot develop perl
>> on my own laptop right now without manually installing an old bison in
>> /usr/local, because the one shipped by debian is too new for regen_perly
>
> Does this need more than just bumping the version check in
> regen/regen_perly.pl?  I bumped the maximum from 3.0 to 3.4 in July last
> year, which was current in Debian unstable at the time.  We could even
> be optimistic and allow any 3.x version, under the presumption that any
> incompatible change would be a new major version.

So, I did this on my Debian Sid VM (and added -Wno-deprecated to shut up
a warning), and ran `perl regen_perly.pl`, but the resulting code does
not build.  There are several missing definitions, including YY_CAST and
yysymbol_kind_t, and the defintionn of yy_type_tab in perly.tab is
_completely_ mangled.  I'll have a look at fixing that...

- ilmari
--
"The surreality of the universe tends towards a maximum" -- Skud's Law
"Never formulate a law or axiom that you're not prepared to live with