Re: RFC: freeze bison version with docker container

From:
=?UTF-8?Q?Branislav_Zahradn=C3=ADk?=
Date:
Re: RFC: freeze bison version with docker container
Message ID:
CAB=rbO=dNH5O7dW+KgPm+h7qyuvbsu3gGvc2imhxO7FXTdU73g@mail.gmail.com
On Mon, 27 Jul 2020 at 17:18, bulk88 <bulk88@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Dave Mitchell wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 12:03:44PM +0200, Branislav ZahradnĂ­k wrote:
> >> Hi Porters,
> >>
> >> Motivation:
> >> Bison itself evolves, deprecating features (eg %pure-parser) , changing
> >> output format.
> >> Distributions do as well, providing different bison versions.
> >> These days we can provide unified tooling via containers.
> >>
> >> Commit (POC):
> >> https://github.com/happy-barney/perl5/commit/4c8c41bcf0
> >

> > It's not clear to me what you are proposing to change in the perl core
> > build process to "freeze bison version", or indeed what "freeze bison
> > version" means in the context of the perl build process.
>
> This is some poor attempt complaining about "build reproducability" and
> searching for a problem to justify a predetermined solution (wouldn't it
> be cool to have React/Nodejs/AWS/Angular inside Perl's toolchain to
> modernize Perl?).
>
> What is think OP is arguing,

Nope,nothing from removed content :-) just reproducibility. Maintainer vs
contributor.
First one understands a tool and maintains tooling to produce stable
generated output without warnings, second one contributes new rules.