Re: RFC: freeze bison version with docker container

From:
bulk88
Date:
Re: RFC: freeze bison version with docker container
Message ID:
20200727151818.7874.qmail@lists-nntp.develooper.com
Dave Mitchell wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 12:03:44PM +0200, Branislav ZahradnĂ­k wrote:
>> Hi Porters,
>>
>> Motivation:
>> Bison itself evolves, deprecating features (eg %pure-parser) , changing
>> output format.
>> Distributions do as well, providing different bison versions.
>> These days we can provide unified tooling via containers.
>>
>> Commit (POC):
>> https://github.com/happy-barney/perl5/commit/4c8c41bcf0
>

> It's not clear to me what you are proposing to change in the perl core
> build process to "freeze bison version", or indeed what "freeze bison
> version" means in the context of the perl build process.

This is some poor attempt complaining about "build reproducability" and
searching for a problem to justify a predetermined solution (wouldn't it
be cool to have React/Nodejs/AWS/Angular inside Perl's toolchain to
modernize Perl?).

What is think OP is arguing, Bison is a not ISO/ANSI/IETF/W3C/IEEE
specification, so Bison's maintainers never promised identical output
bytestreams for identical input streams. Bison is SORT OF part of Perl's
toolchain.
https://perl5.git.perl.org/perl5.git/blob/HEAD:/regen_perly.pl But SORT
OF, since P5P ships the readable OUTPUT of BISON in the repo, as a
static file, some would argue this is "source code", others would argue
P5P is shipping closed source binaries in the files perly.tab, perly.c,
and perly.act since P5P doesn't include the source code of the tool that
made them. I think OP is arguing that BISON's source code must be
shipped with Perl 5 repo and compiled during a standard Configure/make
(oh lets add Docker/add 32 bit color depth alpha layeer fancy logos to
perl's toolchain), otherwise Perl is proprietary software.