Re: [Perl/perl5] Run failed: testsuite -smoke-me/jkeenan/gh-17993-evaluate-net-ping (22da0f9)

From:
ASSI
Date:
Re: [Perl/perl5] Run failed: testsuite -smoke-me/jkeenan/gh-17993-evaluate-net-ping (22da0f9)
Message ID:
87o8o58mnc.fsf@Otto.invalid
"Paul \"LeoNerd\" Evans" writes:
> On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 17:56:26 -0400
> James E Keenan <jkeenan@pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> So AFAICT this has more to do with cygwin than with perl.  So I won't
>> treat it as preventing merging of the underlying code into blead
>> (which is pending other smoke-me reports).
>>
>> Does that sound okay?
>
> The `cygwin` action has likewise been complaining for me quite a lot
> and to be honest I've mostly been ignoring it too.

Well, start by debugging the cargo-culted choco setup you use there and
maybe things might improve.  Also, cygwin64-win32api-headers does
nothing since these headers are for a cross-compilation toolchain you
don't use, while you are missing a bunch of library packages that Perl
should have access to.  Plus you will probably want to integrate a few
patches from Cygwin Perl or better yet build it with cygport.

https://cygwin.com/git-cygwin-packages/?p=git/cygwin-packages/perl.git

The set of tests that doesn't work then depends on whether the tests are
run under an administrator account (which will have tests fail that
expect certain file access to be denied) or not (some things on Windows
need security privileges that usually come with an administrator
account, but not a normal user account).  You can make the former tests
pass by running the respective tests with an administrator account while
dropping the privileges (via cygdrop), but there's no support from the
testsuite to tell it which tests it should do that for.

Regards,
Achim.