Re: Clarification about features on/off by default

From:
Eric Brine
Date:
Re: Clarification about features on/off by default
Message ID:
CALJW-qHwikcs17hb13csDtmoKQtotJUXM6t2iqMzbn9O=CgnJg@mail.gmail.com
On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 3:28 PM Karl Williamson <public@khwilliamson.com>
wrote:

> Rumor has it that a bunch of code breaks with [unicode_strings]
> enabled; and I'm trying to track that down.  Each time I'm told person X
> knows code that breaks, and I've contacted that person, I'm told, "No, I
> don't know of any code that breaks".  The final person X I haven't
> talked to yet is AFK for a week.

If a program doesn't decode its inputs and validates using a regex (e.g.
/^\w+\z/), it would suddenly start accepting characters it didn't before.
This could be *undersireable*, but would it outright *break* code? It could
eventually lead to problems if someone unexpectedly creates an account
named √Čric, for example, but that might be acceptable. I think it would be
nice to get this fix in.

But that was just an example, and Paul Evans confirmed that what is enabled
by C<< use v5.30; >> now will continue to be enabled by C<< use v7; >>.