Re: Clarification about features on/off by default

From:
Karl Williamson
Date:
Re: Clarification about features on/off by default
Message ID:
69de306e-b50e-95ef-739f-2b07d09d7d7f@khwilliamson.com
On 7/17/20 12:40 PM, Eric Brine wrote:
> I was reading https://github.com/Perl/perl5/wiki/SC-Notes-2020-07-14
>
> It talks about what features will be on and default and which ones won't
> be. What does it mean to not be enabled *by default*? Does this mean
> without C<< use v7; >>?
>
> For example, I've been using C<< use 5.014; >> to enable the
> unicode_strings feature among others. (It fixes bugs in m//, lc() and
> the like.) It's listed as one of the features that won't be enabled by
> default. Will C<< use v7; >> enable unicode_strings or not?

It hasn't been decided yet.  There is no one opposed AFAIK to enabling
it if feasible.  Rumor has it that a bunch of code breaks with this
enabled; and I'm trying to track that down.  Each time I'm told person X
knows code that breaks, and I've contacted that person, I'm told, "No, I
don't know of any code that breaks".  The final person X I haven't
talked to yet is AFK for a week.