[Jul 15] Additional Perl 7 updates

From:
Sawyer X
Date:
July 15, 2020 22:51
Subject:
[Jul 15] Additional Perl 7 updates
Message ID:
f5d0abd2-83d3-38c4-db32-c06ad2560220@gmail.com
[I'm marking this email in the subject with the data to make it stand
out more. I'm going to start providing more updates as we get along.]

This is an update on what we've been doing so far:

# Forming the Steering Committee:

When the Perl Core Summit attendees started meeting for conference
calls, we realized it was not clear who has the power to make a
decision. There's the pumpking of course, but I tend to work with the
team to make decisions. There's the Porters, but it's not clear who is
the group composed of (except a mailing list that anyone can join). We
discussed it at the meeting. We raised the people with commit bit, but
that included people who also had it for releases, so that wasn't good
either.

The concept of a Steering Committee for Perl is a topic I had raised
several times at Core Summit meetings and at the Perl Conference last
year. I wanted the power to move the language forward, officially, to be
done by a group of core developers and myself with a representation of
TPF. We decided it's time to try out this model.

You can read about it here:

https://github.com/Perl/perl5/wiki/Perl-Steering-Committee

## Meetings of the Steering Committee:

* We are discussing options at meetings of the Steering Committee. We
found that video conference calls perform far better for us than emails.
We handle them with facilitation, giving everyone time and room to
speak, explore topics in a cooperative way, keep a schedule with time
for breaks, and write down notes. This had been, in some ways, more
productive than the Core Summit meetings we had in previous years.

* We don't all agree or have the same interests and concerns, which we
appreciate. It allows us to account for - and address - different
perspectives.

* We are also listening to the community and bringing those concerns to
meetings, making sure to represent them.

* Every meeting has its notes published on the meeting so everyone can
view it, including those who can't attend,

Meeting in which we discussed this:

https://github.com/Perl/perl5/wiki/SC-Notes-2020-07-12

# Perl 7 plan:

When I published the last update on using "use VERSION", I mention this
would only work with certain stipulations. Unfortunately, we could not
agree on it. This would have required all existing code to change and
without another solution, would not allow Perl 5 code working on version
5 and beyond version 7. In short, we could not do it.

We reviewed the original proposal for just changing defaults and
realized that with most feature enabling, there would be minimal changes
required for code, if at all. We also came up with how to collect more
data. We're now seeing this as a more practical step. We also reviewed
which defaults we want to enable in 7.0.0.

Current Proposal document:
https://github.com/Perl/perl5/wiki/The-Proposal-for-Perl-7

Defaults determined for Perl 7:
https://github.com/Perl/perl5/wiki/Defaults-for-v7

Meeting notes from the second meeting where we discussed it:
https://github.com/Perl/perl5/wiki/SC-Notes-2020-14

We will provide more updates as we progress.

Thanks,

Sawyer.