Re: Perl 7 - updates

From:
Dan Book
Date:
Re: Perl 7 - updates
Message ID:
CABMkAVXFno9mK9SrYDnEnsabLTtJQCwdkY4rpCp0dt8-wSpMvA@mail.gmail.com
On Sun, Jul 5, 2020 at 2:49 PM Todd Rinaldo <toddr@cpanel.net> wrote:

> On Jul 5, 2020, at 12:39 PM, Philip R Brenan <philiprbrenan@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> If it cannot run all of CPAN, out of the box, by default, now and forever,
> with no tweaking whatsoever, then I cannot say that it is Perl: it must be
> *another* language. If I have to port all of my CPAN modules to *another*
> language, then it probably should be *some*-*other* language.
>

> That ship has already sailed. @INC changes, Perl deprecations, etc. have
> already broken parts of CPAN and do not compile or install on 5.32.0. The
> breaks to date have admittedly been minimal but that is mostly thanks to
> parts of CPAN being updated to accommodate the changes in Perl.

Sorry but this statement just boggles my mind. CPAN works for everyone
currently using Perl, and we've kept it working on purpose despite the
necessity of moving things forward, because if we lose CPAN then, pardon
the saying but for once this is not hyperbole, Perl truly dies. I hope I am
misreading the intention of this line of argument.

-Dan