Re: Perl 7 - updates

From:
Darren Duncan
Date:
Re: Perl 7 - updates
Message ID:
613271e5-6f59-5c7a-70bd-3f2bfc5e642b@darrenduncan.net
On 2020-07-05 2:39 p.m., Paul "LeoNerd" Evans wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Jul 2020 13:52:28 -0700 Darren Duncan wrote:
>
>> Presumably a large fraction of CPAN modules already have a "use v5"
>> in them, as that is a best practice for code intended to be reused,
>> so they're good.  And efforts are underway to improve the rest.
>> Seemingly planned updates to the tooling will also help to automate
>> this.
>
> I have ballpark 130 CPAN dists (covering way more than that number of
> distinct modules). At one point I think I was in the Top 10 most
> prolific authors, though I must have been slacking lately, for I now
> barely make it to 20.
>
> In all of those dists, never once did I "use v" anywhere. My first ever
> upload containing one was yesterday. While I'm going to probably commit
> to adding them in future uploads of new things, I haven't so far been
> writing them in any existing code.
>
> Taking a quick look around others' modules, I find the same pattern. Up
> until now, "use v" is very rarely seen in the wild.

Speaking for myself, I have had about a dozen CPAN distros going back 20 years,
and I have always had "use v" in them from the start.

The older ones have "use 5.004;" and the newer ones have "use 5.008;".

Admittedly practically no one uses my modules that I know of, but still this is
a practice I consistently followed for 20 years.

-- Darren Duncan