Re: Perl 7 - updates

From:
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans
Date:
Re: Perl 7 - updates
Message ID:
20200705223924.342a8094@shy.leonerd.org.uk
On Sun, 5 Jul 2020 13:52:28 -0700
Darren Duncan <darren@darrenduncan.net> wrote:

> Presumably a large fraction of CPAN modules already have a "use v5"
> in them, as that is a best practice for code intended to be reused,
> so they're good.  And efforts are underway to improve the rest.
> Seemingly planned updates to the tooling will also help to automate
> this.

I have ballpark 130 CPAN dists (covering way more than that number of
distinct modules). At one point I think I was in the Top 10 most
prolific authors, though I must have been slacking lately, for I now
barely make it to 20.

In all of those dists, never once did I "use v" anywhere. My first ever
upload containing one was yesterday. While I'm going to probably commit
to adding them in future uploads of new things, I haven't so far been
writing them in any existing code.

Taking a quick look around others' modules, I find the same pattern. Up
until now, "use v" is very rarely seen in the wild.

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans