Re: Perl 7 - updates "perl5-porters@perl.org"<perl5-porters@perl.org>

From:
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans
Date:
Re: Perl 7 - updates "perl5-porters@perl.org"<perl5-porters@perl.org>
Message ID:
20200705222123.49040f66@shy.leonerd.org.uk
I for one am hoping the eventual outcome is that we'll still have a
"perl N" that can run current best-practice perl 5 code for at least a
decade, if not two. Perl 5 has been around for 25-ish years, so if
nothing else if we are going to kill it eventually then it would be
polite to aim at the 25-year mark in which to do so.

But with the aim to saying you can run perl 5 code for at least a
decade, then this either means that perl 8 won't be a thing for another
10 years, or if it comes sooner then 8 will in fact support back to 5,
and maybe it's perl 9 when the 5 support finally stops.

In summary; I think we should be thinking about this in terms of "at
least N years", not "at least K major versions".

Separately, on another personal note, I don't intend to be removing any
bits of Perl 5 support just for the sake of it. There may, at some
point, come a time when some Perl 5 feature either directly gets in the
way of a new language feature we want to add and it is deemed more
important to add it than to break back-compat; or when the overhead on
internals of having to maintain that support gets too much to cope with
adding the new things.

But either way, I would hope that any Perl 5 features that eventually
do get removed are done on a case-by-case basis on justified need, and
not just "because we don't like Perl 5 any more". After all, we support
most of POSIX ideas from 1970s, and we support ASCII whose invention
dates back to the early 1960s. We don't remove old things just for the
sake of it, only when they get in the way.

I do not view this announcement as "We /will/ break back-compat",
simply "We no longer 100%-guarantee not to."

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans