Re: Perl 7 - updates

From:
Darren Duncan
Date:
Re: Perl 7 - updates
Message ID:
363c518c-d6bb-9b19-9da1-71e15ec2a7b5@darrenduncan.net
On 2020-07-05 1:36 p.m., Tom Molesworth wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Jul 2020 at 04:06, Darren Duncan wrote:
>
>     On 2020-07-04 9:49 a.m., Tom Molesworth via perl5-porters wrote:
>      > On Sat, 4 Jul 2020 at 07:26, Sawyer X wrote:
>      >
>      >     It is important to note that with this change, we can provide helpful
>      >     feedback for the user. If one were to run a newer binary with no "use
>      >     VERSION", we could produce an output that says:
>      >
>      >           You need to provide the version of Perl your code targets. This is
>      >     done with a "use V<version number>". The following version numbers are
>      >     supported:
>     Just to be clear, this isn't a "warning" in the traditional sense, rather it is
>     a fatal error.
>
> Ah, I see - you mean instead of breaking a long list of CPAN modules due to new
> defaults, we're now choosing to break every module in CPAN plus every existing
> piece of code?
>
> Would this not tend to reduce some of the potential enthusiasm for the first
> major Perl release in decades?

Not really.

Your comments presume that no one currently has "use v" at all, a feature that
has existed basically forever in Perl.

Presumably a large fraction of CPAN modules already have a "use v5" in them, as
that is a best practice for code intended to be reused, so they're good.  And
efforts are underway to improve the rest.  Seemingly planned updates to the
tooling will also help to automate this.

Making "use v" mandatory will keep things working well.

-- Darren Duncan