Re: Perl 7 - updates

From:
ilmari
Date:
Re: Perl 7 - updates
Message ID:
878sfzlzyd.fsf@wibble.ilmari.org
Sawyer X <xsawyerx@gmail.com> writes:

> Dave M's original email proposes using the "use v" to achieve what we
> want with a single line. This option seems like a feasible solution. We
> can view it not as "turn on the following features," but "this is the
> standard of Perl I'm writing this file in." A few others also shared
> this idea on the list. I think it does make sense.

Thank you for coming around on this!

> * We will change "use v" to be explicitly about turning on the features
> we wish to have in this version. It will no longer be "turn on
> everything."

This has always been the case: use vX.Y enables the :X.Y feature bundle,
not all features availble in perl X.Y.  For example, the :5.16 bundle
and later do not include the 'array_base' feature, and :7.0 would
presumably exclude 'indirect' (and possibly 'multidimensional' and
'bareword_filehandles').

- ilmari
--
- Twitter seems more influential [than blogs] in the 'gets reported in
  the mainstream press' sense at least.               - Matt McLeod