Re: Perl 7 - updates

From:
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans
Date:
Re: Perl 7 - updates
Message ID:
20200704214320.4f09fd72@shy.leonerd.org.uk
On Sun, 5 Jul 2020 08:00:48 +1200
Kent Fredric <kentfredric@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is less prolific on CPAN, but some opensource software,
> particularly anything GNU, uses `expect` driven tests, and can be
> sensitive to changes in STDERR. So even adding warnings by default
> could make us unpopular.  Not sure there's a nice way to handle that,
> other than "clean break, perl5 stays this way forever"

This is actually something I'd be keen to see us set more of an
expectation on.

Honestly, over the years, *so* many otherwise-good ideas for warnings
have been shot down over fears of upsetting downstream users who are
oversensitive to what we might spit out on STDERR. With the new
major version bump of Perl 7 it might be possible that we can set a
better expectation in the future that we may sometimes add these new
warnings, so folks shouldn't be too sensitive about it.

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans