Re: Perl 7 - updates

From:
Kent Fredric
Date:
Re: Perl 7 - updates
Message ID:
CAATnKFBWaVtVkHZD=CZH+i=5W0xZ9gCedt8TsAvtbiPimp9F4Q@mail.gmail.com
On Sun, 5 Jul 2020 at 04:49, Tom Molesworth via perl5-porters
<perl5-porters@perl.org> wrote:

> Overall a warning like this is an improvement over the initial suggestion of changing the defaults outright, so thank you for changing that decision. I think it's still premature, though - why not defer this until v8? Adding this warning to v7 increases the disruption and uncertainty factor. Do we really need it in v7?

And a friendly reminder is needed that, warnings aren't necessarily
immune from creating breakge of their own.

This is less prolific on CPAN, but some opensource software,
particularly anything GNU, uses `expect` driven tests, and can be
sensitive to changes in STDERR. So even adding warnings by default
could make us unpopular.  Not sure there's a nice way to handle that,
other than "clean break, perl5 stays this way forever"

--
Kent