Re: Perl 7 - updates

From:
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans
Date:
Re: Perl 7 - updates
Message ID:
20200704183323.2fb4f933@shy.leonerd.org.uk
On Sun, 5 Jul 2020 00:49:34 +0800
Tom Molesworth via perl5-porters <perl5-porters@perl.org> wrote:

> Is this for the top-level script, or would it include a separate
> warning for every new compilation unit (module, eval, code running
> under mod_perl/plperl/libperl etc.)? My concern is the implicit
> assumption here: "your code". Many of the lines of code will be
> someone else's, thanks to CPAN.
>
> Overall a warning like this is an improvement over the initial
> suggestion of changing the defaults outright, so thank you for
> changing that decision. I think it's still premature, though - why
> not defer this until v8? Adding this warning to v7 increases the
> disruption and uncertainty factor. Do we really need it in v7?

Perhaps the warning should be suppressed if no "parent" module has
warned so far.

That is, an entire set of pre-v7 script-and-modules would warn once on
the script alone. Fix that, and now every module it "use"s would warn,
but those pulled in by them would not. Gradually, as more modules get
"use vX"'ed, the level of warning remains manageable.

This way, the warnings are presented most directly in a way that users
are most likely able to fix. A warning from the script they wrote is
far more actionable than a warning from 5 levels deep of dependencies.

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans