Re: Perl 7 - updates

From:
Tom Molesworth via perl5-porters
Date:
Re: Perl 7 - updates
Message ID:
CAGXhHdnW53xoQ2b5PEhoUh7b=B2zER9=08c0xvM9zh+_izfpEw@mail.gmail.com
On Sat, 4 Jul 2020 at 07:26, Sawyer X <xsawyerx@gmail.com> wrote:

> It is important to note that with this change, we can provide helpful
> feedback for the user. If one were to run a newer binary with no "use
> VERSION", we could produce an output that says:
>
>      You need to provide the version of Perl your code targets. This is
> done with a "use V<version number>". The following version numbers are
> supported:

Is this for the top-level script, or would it include a separate warning
for every new compilation unit (module, eval, code running under
mod_perl/plperl/libperl etc.)? My concern is the implicit assumption here:
"your code". Many of the lines of code will be someone else's, thanks to
CPAN.

Overall a warning like this is an improvement over the initial suggestion
of changing the defaults outright, so thank you for changing that decision.
I think it's still premature, though - why not defer this until v8? Adding
this warning to v7 increases the disruption and uncertainty factor. Do we
really need it in v7?