Re: Perl 7 - updates

From:
Dan Book
Date:
Re: Perl 7 - updates
Message ID:
CABMkAVVf3BL9pT2n6UkYhUtZvfccXHfxKjyj968BT6jsaL2KgA@mail.gmail.com
On Fri, Jul 3, 2020 at 7:26 PM Sawyer X <xsawyerx@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think it impractical to respond to everyone on the original thread,
> nor would it be visible enough to respond to one person with an update
> and hoping everyone sees this.
>
> So what happened since my original announcement:
>
> 1. A lot of people replied. Several mini-discussions ensued.
> 2. I read through the thread, every message, with a few pointed
> 3. I've had several one-on-one conversations with people who wanted to
> talk about things more directly and synchronously.
> 4. I've looked at all the options we have available and the problems
> raised.
>
> I want to update you on the state of affairs at the moment.
>
> On Perl 7 defaults:
>
> Dave M's original email proposes using the "use v" to achieve what we
> want with a single line. This option seems like a feasible solution. We
> can view it not as "turn on the following features," but "this is the
> standard of Perl I'm writing this file in." A few others also shared
> this idea on the list. I think it does make sense.
>
> However, to work, it would require the following stipulations:
> * It will be mandatory. Every file running Perl 7+ binaries will need to
> indicate which standard or protocol it implements. ("Standard" and
> "protocol" here do not refer to any technical definition for us. I'm
> using them as terms in English to express the idea of the code's
> conformity.)
> * Each version will support only three "protocols": Previous, Current,
> and Next. In this sense, Perl 7 will support "use v5", "use v7", and
> "use v8". This will make the code able to progress in different ways,
> but not left too far behind. It will also allow eventually removing
> features.
> * We will change "use v" to be explicitly about turning on the features
> we wish to have in this version. It will no longer be "turn on everything."
> * "use VERSION" will need to change its meaning from "use this minimum
> version" to "use this protocol" so it could support protocols we make
> defaults in the next version.
>
> To summarize, the changes mentioned here are to essentially:
> * Use "use VERSION" instead of "use compat::perlX".
> * Change "use VERSION" to mean "protocol," so "use v8" on Perl 7 will
> work. (It's effectively "give me version 8" or "I'm writing for protocol
> version 8".)
> * Make this mechanism required by the user in future binaries.
>
> At first, I did object to this. This is because the goal, as stated by
> others on the list as well, I wanted zero entry barrier to beginners.
> While I think any obstacle is not the optimal behavior for a beginner,
> having a single line that is required is much more feasible and
> maintainable. This is because of the concept of the "protocol" (or
> whichever more accurate term we go with) to say that you're coding for a
> particular version or set of Perl features, and because making it
> [...]

Thank you for reconsidering the direction of the plan. I think there are
still things that need to be ironed out here (and I see that interesting
discussions around that have already started), but it certainly addresses
my most significant concerns, in that it encourages explicitness rather
than silent behavioral change.

-Dan