Re: Perl 7 - updates

From:
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans
Date:
Re: Perl 7 - updates
Message ID:
20200704120618.046e62a6@shy.leonerd.org.uk
On Sat, 4 Jul 2020 05:12:26 +0200
Branislav ZahradnĂ­k <happy.barney@gmail.com> wrote:

> Using "Next protocol" is a little bit tricky, I'd use at least
> "Next-Preview"
> or something similar. Its full feature set is not known yet. What is
> known is only behaviour of features already known:
> Every release of perl (starting with 7.0.0) should produce:
> - perl5
> - perl7
> - perl8-preview

I'm liking the name "preview".

Python has a similar thing called "__future__", wherein you can import
features from the "__future__" module to opt-in to things that will be
in the next release.

It might be a big confusing to have a "future" in Perl - notably for
the fact we already have https://metacpan.org/pod/Future - but I think
the name "preview" fits well.

Not only is it not currently taken by anything, but also it doesn't
give such a feeling of a guarantee, like "future" or "next" would. It
suggests "here's a preliminary idea of what will probably be coming
soon, buuuut, it's not finalised yet so details might still change".

  use preview::v8;
  use preview v8;
  ... something like that.

--