Re: Announcing Perl 7

From:
Karen Etheridge
Date:
Re: Announcing Perl 7
Message ID:
CAPJsHfDOrSc-VKpfjmrPTtiuU+gDVtDeRnTB6sL83hwfXVnNGA@mail.gmail.com
Sawyer said:

> This decision was done with the core of effective contributors to the
> language who attend the summit and with numerous stakeholders. I do
> consider this having been done *with* p5p - not just "consulting,"
> rather than by myself. It just wasn't done with the "p5p mailing list"
> which includes many who are not developers of the language or
> stakeholders in it.

> I will reach out to the group to get their explicit permission to publicly
> share who is in this group. I will note this group includes people who
> are frequent contributors (such as Dave Mitchell, Tony Cook, Karl
> Williamson, Jim Keenan, Todd Rinaldo, etc.), people from toolchain
> (Karen Etheridge, Leon Timmermans - who fits the previous group as
> well), and representatives of other vendors (primarily Debian).

To clarify:
I was not invited to the p5h meet last year; I was not involved in any Zoom
sessions with you, nor included in any email discussions. I saw the google
document you circulated, but did not know the names of the other
participants;
I left a few comments in the document, including one very specifically about
the schedule, which garnered zero responses.  I was certainly not aware of
any
specific action that was intended to be taken on a particular date, and the
specifics of the announcement at CiC came as a surprise to me.  Nothing I
said
should have been interpreted as broad support for a plan that I was aware of
only in the phrasing of "A Plan for Perl" (note: NOT the same as "THE Plan
for
Perl").

I wonder how many other people in the list you consider "the decision having
been done with" have had their positionsmisunderstood or misrepresented by
you. It's a shame, because if we had all been able to communicate more
clearly and sooner, we might not be in such a situation now.