Re: Perl 7 - updates

From:
Kent Fredric
Date:
Re: Perl 7 - updates
Message ID:
CAATnKFDVrT4EC+xZnXET_+mZhfp+s3ofJdEM8gniRZFET2evug@mail.gmail.com
On Sat, 4 Jul 2020 at 11:26, Sawyer X <xsawyerx@gmail.com> wrote:
> * Change "use VERSION" to mean "protocol," so "use v8" on Perl 7 will
> work. (It's effectively "give me version 8" or "I'm writing for protocol
> version 8".)

This is the most confusing part of this proposal so far. However, I
have an idea of how this *might* work, and so I'll just let my
imagination run for a bit.

1. Perl 7 is not shipped immediately.
2. Perl 5.xx continues to plod along, but in some 5.xx, `use v7`
starts to "work".
3. Then, `v7` implies a changing in-progress standard, which people
can opt-into, ahead of time.
4. Perl7 ships, and the features it implied and developed for v7
become frozen, and v8 starts to "work".
5. Perl7 continues with boring releases, and all the new stuff planned
for the v8 feature set become available with `v8`.
6. v8 ships, v8's feature set freezes, v9 support begins.

Which means that you can opt-into latest and greatest ahead-of-time,
at the price that your code *may* be broken by changes in the planned
featureset, and any "use vX" statement only becomes reliable *after*
vX ships.

That's not *all* bad. But some clarification on that mechanism is
needed. ( as-is, it invokes a lot of profound confusion from people )

--
Kent