Re: Announcing Perl 7

From:
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans
Date:
Re: Announcing Perl 7
Message ID:
20200703190621.2b73b95e@shy.leonerd.org.uk
On Sat, 4 Jul 2020 06:00:34 +1200
Kent Fredric <kentfredric@gmail.com> wrote:

> You realise of course this will never factor for "real world perl
> deployments", nor any of the stuff outside of CPAN, but are in use in
> critical paths, some, in critical open source code.
>
> Measuring using CPAN is like measuring an iceberg using its height
> above the waterline.

Oh that is certainly true. I'd hope we use more than *just* a quick
grep of CPAN to decide on it. But nevertheless it becomes one signal
among many we can use.

But only by beginning /now/ in the direction of making that version
declaration either mandatory, or at least strongly encouraged, do we
have a hope of having a significant-enough signal from it in several
years to come. If we don't start encouraging it, it won't be there at
all.

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans