Re: Dual-life perl 5-or-7 code and prototypes - impossible?

From:
Darren Duncan
Date:
Re: Dual-life perl 5-or-7 code and prototypes - impossible?
Message ID:
a8dba224-7e22-2128-8c0b-6bbd0d91ac89@darrenduncan.net
On 2020-07-02 10:03 a.m., Chris Prather wrote:
> If the Perl community has taught me anything it's consensus building takes *way*
> longer than 3-5 years. Moose is now 14 years old and based on the conversations
> around Cor there is still not a full consensus about the need for a core object
> system beyond bless(), and we're just barely (say the last 3-5 years) into a
> majority consensus that Moose is probably a reasonably good idea as long as you
> remove about 50% of it, without a real agreement on which 50% should be removed.

 From what I've seen, the majority wants a more sophisticated core object system
to exist and its mainly just a fringe that insists it must come from frameworks
because that's the Perl way and putting one in core is oppression by the man.

The only serious debate I see is just about what form the new core object system
should take and how fast it should be committed to.  Its working out the details
and the timetable that is the issue, and getting close enough to a consensus on
that (a complete consensus would never happen).

-- Darren Duncan