Re: Dual-life perl 5-or-7 code and prototypes - impossible?

From:
Chris Prather
Date:
Re: Dual-life perl 5-or-7 code and prototypes - impossible?
Message ID:
CAEFJ168=T9cekhY02nDhtgZnh=JwVhgedGHB7XPeRgm13mZLJg@mail.gmail.com
On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 12:42 PM David Mertens <dcmertens.perl@gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> We can expect a point release every year. How often would we see major
> releases? Maybe every 3-5 years. They are supposed to enable features that
> represent community consensus around best practices, and it'll take time
> for those best practices to surface.

If the Perl community has taught me anything it's consensus building takes
*way* longer than 3-5 years. Moose is now 14 years old and based on the
conversations around Cor there is still not a full consensus about the need
for a core object system beyond bless(), and we're just barely (say the
last 3-5 years) into a majority consensus that Moose is probably a
reasonably good idea as long as you remove about 50% of it, without a real
agreement on which 50% should be removed.

-Chris