Re: who are newcomers to Perl? RE: Announcing Perl 7

From:
Kent Fredric
Date:
June 30, 2020 17:25
Re: who are newcomers to Perl? RE: Announcing Perl 7
Message ID:
CAATnKFDHbWWAWoM5kMkeFzPQqFbt=Co_fxw74VCVFc6xt-7PdQ@mail.gmail.com
> Independently of the fact that skipping perl-6 to avoid confusion, and jumping to perl-7
> for the future versions, is in my view a good and welcome idea, if this comes along with a
> version of perl which does not support legacy programs and modules out-of-the-box, then I
> believe that this "new language" should get a new name (just like Raku did), and not risk
> creating further issues and confusion.

I personally don't mind the option of "new language", but with a caveat:

If it's *expected* that this new language simply re-uses CPAN as is,
and can benefit from all those useful modules, then we're back at
square one with the problems, because it forces a perl5 ecosystem to
pander to the incompatible perl7 ecosystem.

So yeah, don't do that. ( There are of course, ways around this
problem, but all the ways around it that I thought of had some really
unfortunate consequences on the "ownership" level, or involved really
nasty tricks at runtime where you "borrow" code from a perl5 install
tree and enforced legacy mode, but to do that, you have to go back to
maintaining perpetual backwards compatibility anyway, or, worse, do
what raku does, and treat perl5 as an external language with FFI,
where you need perl5 in order to run 5PAN modules on 7.... so it's all
zero-sum )

--
Kent