Re: who are newcomers to Perl? RE: Announcing Perl 7

From:
David Mertens
Date:
June 30, 2020 12:58
Re: who are newcomers to Perl? RE: Announcing Perl 7
Message ID:
CA+4ieYXx6jRnPSX_Hi_5CeShn+e4JQ27fVJ7QCR1dePGUxy5DA@mail.gmail.com
Almost nobody starts working with a language because they like the language
design. They learn a language because it has a great framework, or because
they are required to use it for work.

Students who work in my lab have to learn Perl because I insist that it's
the only language we use. We use it for running our experiments, for
running simulations, and for analyzing our data. I suspect that many other
new users probably learn Perl because their job forces them to do so. But,
one of my students said he rather liked the language. He thought it was
kinda quirky, but liked the quirkiness.

So no, folks won't come to Perl because of the syntax or language design.
But they might stay because of it. That was me 12 years ago and it might be
that student of mine.

David