who are newcomers to Perl? RE: Announcing Perl 7

From:
Konovalov, Vadim
Date:
June 30, 2020 11:57
Subject:
who are newcomers to Perl? RE: Announcing Perl 7
Message ID:
MN2PR19MB4032C369D016211459EFDD718A6F0@MN2PR19MB4032.namprd19.prod.outlook.com
From: David Mertens
> This comes down to the key question: who are we optimizing for?
>
> Sawyer wants to optimize for the brand new user.

On SawyerX’s video, user’s categorization is certainly very debatable point.

“Novice user”s, “absentee” and “maintainer” – these is very
incomplete categorization of user’s base, I do not fall into any of 3.

But more to the point – novice user is very-very unrealistic.
In Sawyer’s video this is the one who wants to learn a language and
selects among possibilities on the market.

The picture is entirely different.

Language syntax is not the criteria for a language to learn, rather –
ecosystem and reputation.

Ecosystem was strong point for Perl in ~2000 – it was the leader
with CPAN as recognized solution to everything. Now Perl is far not
the first, because many modern techniques are not supported even
by CPAN modules, whereas pip and npm provide to the newcomer a
solution.

Reputation – as for the first language is now Python, this is how
propaganda summed up.

There is no user that looks into syntax and takes a decision.
Even here – if syntax requires you to be bothered about gazillion
versions of various parts of language – then this is not what could be
considered a strong selling point of the language.