Re: Dual-life perl 5-or-7 code and prototypes - impossible?

From:
Leon Timmermans
Date:
June 29, 2020 23:34
Re: Dual-life perl 5-or-7 code and prototypes - impossible?
Message ID:
CAHhgV8gkdrQ4q4tbjKQ+xpDAk=cefFBnZMRpQgsMvPujGtve4w@mail.gmail.com
On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 8:17 PM Rocco Caputo <rcaputo@pobox.com> wrote:
> On 06/29/2020 13:13, Salvador Fandiño wrote:
> > If I had understood correctly the aim behind p7, it is to get people
> > to use the new features. Just the opposite of encouraging people to
> > write code compatible with p5, right?
> >
> > If you want to remain compatible with both perl5 and perl7, you are
> > going to have the worst of both worlds. You would not be able to use
> > "features" removed from perl7 neither would you be able to use the new
> > features added.
>
> This seems terrible.  It can't possibly be canon.  It implies a 7PAN
> that is mutually exclusive from CPAN.  How are people going to navigate
> that?

It does seem terrible indeed. One of the main lessons of the python2/3
transition is that the only way to make it happen seamlessly is to
enable people to be compatible with both, yet that's surprisingly
difficult as it stands right now.

Leon