What if P5P had an RFC style voting system for new features?

From:
Scott Baker
Date:
June 29, 2020 20:31
Subject:
What if P5P had an RFC style voting system for new features?
Message ID:
0f54cea9-7b1d-a5c8-d5d3-0e8e7f5efb48@perturb.org
P5P:

PHP has a novel voting system for any new features (or removals) that go
in to their language. A select group of developers are allowed to vote
on changes to the language, and most votes require a 2/3 majority to pass.

RFC System: https://wiki.php.net/rfc

Currently there is an open vote on renaming an old constant that's in
the active voting phase. I think this is a good example of the system in
action:

https://wiki.php.net/rfc/rename-double-colon-token

Would a system like this help P5P?

I don't think we'll ever all agree on a feature, but something like
might make it easier to come to a consensus. It would probably help to
make the process less personal as well. I would be willing to mock
something up we could test with if the group thinks something like this
would be helpful.

- Scott