Re: Announcing Perl 7

From:
Christian Walde
Date:
June 29, 2020 18:53
Re: Announcing Perl 7
Message ID:
op.0mzleyuaydyjqt@xenwide.cihq
On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 11:04:59 +0200, Paul "LeoNerd" Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 09:56:10 +0100
> "Paul \"LeoNerd\" Evans" <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 28 Jun 2020 03:39:52 -0500
>> Todd Rinaldo <toddr@cpanel.net> wrote:
>>
>> > Easily. They check $].
>>
>> Todd, please explain how github's syntax highlighter checks the value
>> of $] when highlighting a .pm file.
>>
>> Or for that matter even metacpan.org. How will our own infrastructure
>> know what version of perl syntax rules to be using when highlighting
>> our own code?
>
> Also for that matter; how will perlcritic/perltidy know?
>
> I surely hope we are not going to end up with source-code tooling that
> presumes that the version of Perl *running* the tooling must equal the
> version of Perl that source code targets. I would hate to have to run
> all of my tooling under perl5 just because I am working on a .pm file
> that needs to be dual-life and target perl5 as well as perl7.

https://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2020/06/msg257645.html

https://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2020/06/msg257646.html

At this point in time i see absolutely no reason, excuse or possibility to have PPI parse unversioned/unmarked code as anything but Perl 5, unless a user specifically indicates this desire.

Heck, maybe that's the compromise we end up with: Perl executable runs unversioned code as v7, but all documentation tells you to use v7; in case you ever want it to interface with toolchain.

--
With regards,
Christian Walde