Re: Announcing Perl 7

From:
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans
Date:
June 29, 2020 09:05
Re: Announcing Perl 7
Message ID:
20200629100459.3b024187@shy.leonerd.org.uk
On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 09:56:10 +0100
"Paul \"LeoNerd\" Evans" <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Jun 2020 03:39:52 -0500
> Todd Rinaldo <toddr@cpanel.net> wrote:
>
> > Easily. They check $].
>
> Todd, please explain how github's syntax highlighter checks the value
> of $] when highlighting a .pm file.
>
> Or for that matter even metacpan.org. How will our own infrastructure
> know what version of perl syntax rules to be using when highlighting
> our own code?

Also for that matter; how will perlcritic/perltidy know?

I surely hope we are not going to end up with source-code tooling that
presumes that the version of Perl *running* the tooling must equal the
version of Perl that source code targets. I would hate to have to run
all of my tooling under perl5 just because I am working on a .pm file
that needs to be dual-life and target perl5 as well as perl7.

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans