Re: Windows Support [Was: Re: Announcing Perl 7] Christian Walde<walde.christian@gmail.com>

From:
=?UTF-8?Q?Salvador_Fandi=c3=b1o?=
Date:
June 28, 2020 21:52
Re: Windows Support [Was: Re: Announcing Perl 7] Christian Walde<walde.christian@gmail.com>
Message ID:
ae8220ff-f048-b1bf-938f-9beecb520252@gmail.com
On 28/6/20 23:20, Leon Timmermans wrote:
 > On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 7:24 PM Christian Walde
 > <walde.christian@gmail.com> wrote:
 >>
 >> On Fri, 26 Jun 2020 20:57:39 +0200, John Lightsey <john@nixnuts.net>
wrote:

 >>> I'd love to see Perl 8 fix [...] Windows support.
 >>
 >> 2 things here:
 >>
 >> 1. Please don't phrase it in a way that implies Perl doesn't support
windows. I've been developing Perl on windows for over a decade and it
works.

 >> 2. Out of curiosity, what specific points do you care about here?
 >
 > Unicode filesystem support?

+1

Though, that may be more visible in Windows but the problem exists also
under other operating systems. On file system calls Perl just passes to
the OS whatever is in the pv slot without looking at the encoding:

   $ perl
   use utf8;
   my $a = "araña";
   my $b = "ara\xf1a";