Re: Announcing Perl 7

From:
Eric Wong
Date:
June 28, 2020 19:13
Re: Announcing Perl 7
Message ID:
20200628191346.GA16878@dcvr
Todd Rinaldo <toddr@cpanel.net> wrote:
> > On Jun 26, 2020, at 4:56 PM, Eric Wong <p5p@yhbt.net> wrote:
> >
> > Scripting languages like Perl, Python, Ruby, Tcl have
> > significantly less room to evolve than compiled languages once
> > they've reached critical mass.
> >
> > JavaScript is an exception.  For most users it's shipped with a
> > complex browser which requires constant updates, anyways.  I
> > can't say I know much about NodeJS, but I do hear about debacles
> > (e.g. "leftpad") and stay clear of it.
>
> You left out PHP which has added/removed stuff regularly as it
> has bumped versions. To my knowledge their user base has grown
> not shrunk as they made those changes.

True, I don't know much about PHP, but my limited understanding
is that it's far less used for tooling (build systems, packaging
systems, CLI tools) than the others.  It's certainly not part of
default OS installs the way Perl and Python tend to be.

Honestly, I think Perl could appeal to newbies (and maybe
returning old schoolers) who've been bitten by the Python 2/3
mess.