Re: Announcing Perl 7

From:
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans
Date:
June 28, 2020 07:38
Re: Announcing Perl 7
Message ID:
20200628083833.30e4c637@shy.leonerd.org.uk
On Sat, 27 Jun 2020 12:18:30 +0100
"Paul \"LeoNerd\" Evans" <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> wrote:

> Plus a "use v7" at the top of a file will be a BIG HINT to things like
> Github syntax highlighting, vim/emacs/other editors and IDEs ... so
> many places, that they should pick syntax highlighting relevant to
> Perl 7, not Perl 5.

Also to perltidy/perlcritic/etc...

Right now perltidy makes a huge mess of interesting syntax modules,
such as Syntax::Keyword::Try, because it doesn't realise the trailing
";" is not required on try/catch syntax.

perltidy's output looks something like

  sub f {
    try {
      A();
    catch {
      B();
    } return "result";
  }

Oops. Wrong. Should be

    catch {
      B();
    }
    return "result";

If `try` syntax becomes default - probably not in 7 but maybe in 8 -
then how is perltidy going to know how to properly format and indent
this, and all the other exciting syntax we hope to have in place by 8?

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans